Rosemary O'LearyDistinguished Professor, Public Administration
|Web Page:||Available here|
|Email:||roleary at maxwell.syr.edu|
Rosemary O’Leary is Distinguished Professor of Public Administration and the author of six books and over one hundred articles on environmental management, environmental policy, public management, dispute resolution, bureaucratic politics, and law and public policy. An elected member of the U.S. National Academy of Public Administration, she was a senior Fulbright scholar conducting research on environmental policy in Malaysia and the Philippines. She was professor of public and environmental affairs at Indiana University, and cofounder and co-director of the Indiana Conflict Resolution Institute. O’Leary has served as the director of policy and planning for a state environmental agency and has worked as an environmental attorney. She was a consultant to the U.S. Department of the Interior, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the Indiana Department of Environmental Management, the U.S. Institute for Environmental Conflict Resolution, the International City/County Management Association, the National Science Foundation, and the National Academy of Sciences. She served on the National Aeronautics and Space Administration's Return to Flight Task Group and the Aerospace Safety Advisory Panel as a consultant to NASA management on issues pertaining to organization culture and change. O’Leary received her J.D. from the University of Kansas in 1981 and her Ph.D. from Syracuse University in 1988.
Environmental Research Areas
- Environmental Conflict Resolution
- Environmental Governance
- Environmental Management
- Environmental Policy
Selected Papers and Abstracts since 2000
- The Legacy of Minnowbrook, W. Henry Lambright with S. Kim, R. O’Leary, D. Von Slyke, G. Frederickson, Chapter in Rosemary O’Leary et al. eds. book on Minnowbrook Three, Georgetown University Press. (forthcoming), 2010.
- Parallel Play, not Collaboration: Missing Questions, Missing Connections, Rosemary O’Leary with Lisa Blomgren Bingham, Administration Review, supplement to vol. 66, pages 161-167 (December, 2006). , October 2010.
- When a Career Public Servant Sues the Agency He Loves: Claude Ferguson, the Forest Service, and Off-Road Vehicles in the Hoosier National Forest., Rosemary O’Leary, Public Administration Review, Vol. 69, no. 6:1068-1076., 2009.
- Environmental Policy in the Courts., Rosemary O’Leary, Environmental Policy, 7th Edition, Norman Vig and Michael Kraft (eds.). Washington, DC: Congressional Quarterly, pp. 125-147., 2009.
- The Collaborative Public Manager, Rosemary O’Leary co-editor with Lisa Blomgren Bingham, Washington, D.C.: Georgetown University Press , 2009.
- International Public Management Journal, Rosemary O’Leary with Lisa Blomgren Bingham, Co-Editor, special issue of International Public Management Journal, on collaborative public management , 2009.
- (Not) Measuring the Performance of Environmental Conflict Resolution: Lessons from U.S. State Programs, Rosemary O’Leary, International Review of Public Administration, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 11-26. , 2008.
- A Manager’s Guide to Resolving Conflicts in Collaborative Networks, Rosemary O’Leary with Lisa Blomgren Bingham, IBM Center for the Business of Government, 50 pp, 2007.
- Conflict and Collaboration in Networks, Rosemary O’Leary with Lisa Blomgren Bingham, International Public Management Journal. (Forthcoming) , 2007.
- Introduction to the Special Issue on Collaborative Public Management, Rosemary O’Leary with Lisa Blomgren Bingham, International Public Management Journal, 2007.
- The Collaborative Manager, Rosemary O’Leary with Lisa Blomgren Bingham, Co-editor. Will be sent to Georgetown University Press for review in late January, 2007. , 2007.
- Big Ideas in Collaborative Public Management, Rosemary O’Leary with Lisa Blomgren Bingham, Will be sent to M. E. Sharpe for review in mid-February, 2007. , 2006.
- Collaborative Public Management, Rosemary O’Leary with Lisa Blomgren Bingham and Catherine Gerard, Co-editor, special issue of Public Administration Review. Supplement to vol. 66, pages 1-170 (December, 2006). , 2006.
- The Ethics of Dissent: Managing Guerrilla Government, Rosemary O'Leary, CQ Press, Washington, DC, December 2005.
- Environmental Governance Reconsidered: Challenges, Choices and Opportunities, Edited by Robert F. Durant, Daniel J. Fiorino and Rosemary O'Leary, The MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, January 2004.
- Public Managers, Attorneys and Alternative Dispute Resolution of Environmental and Natural Resources Conflicts: Results and Implications of a National Survey, Rosemary O'Leary and Maja Husar, International Journal of Public Administration, 25(11), pp. 1267-1280, December 2002.