A.H. Peter CastroAssociate Professor, Anthropology
|Web Page:||Available here|
|Email:||ahcastro at maxwell.syr.edu|
Environmental Research Areas
- Environment and Development
- Environmental Conflict Resolution
- Natural Resources
Selected Papers and Abstracts since 2000
- Communities and Natural Resource Conflicts in Africa: Reflections on Conflict Management Options for Peace-building in Darfur, A. Peter Castro, Environment and Conflict in Africa: Reflections on Darfur, edited by Marcel Leroy. Addis Ababa: United Nations University for Peace, African Programme, pp. 341-354., 2009.
- Forestry: Eastern Africa, A. Peter Castro, in John Middleton (Editor in chief), New Encyclopedia of Africa, Volume 2, pp. 403-405, Detroit: Thomson, Gale., 2008.
- Energy: Domestic, A. Peter Castro, John Middleton (Editor in Chief), New Encyclopedia of Africa, Volume 2, pp. 263-266, Detroit: Thomson, Gale., 2008.
- Managing Natural Resource Conflicts in the Gambia and Namibia: Case Studies from FAO’s African Capacity Building Programme on Natural Resources Conflict Management., A. Peter Castro with Antonia Engel, Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, 78 pp. , 2006.
- Energy: Wood and Charcoal, A. Peter Castro with David W. Brokensha, in Encyclopedia of Africa: South of the Sahara, 2nd Edition (New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons), 2006.
- Forestry: East Africa, A. Peter Castro , 2006.
- What Can Be Done About Food Insecurity and Poverty? Some Views from South Wello and Oromiya Zones.”, A. Peter Castro , 2006.
- Moving in Place: Drought and Poverty Dynamics in South Wollo, Ethiopia, Peter Castro, (with Peter D. Little, M. Priscilla Stone, Tewodaj Mogues and Workneh Negatu). Journal of Development Studies 42 (2), 2006, pp. 200-225., February 2006.
- Developing Local Capacity for Management of Natural Resource Conflicts in Africa: A Review of Key Issues, Approaches, and Outcomes, A.H. Peter Castro, Report prepared for the Sustainable Agriculture and Natural Resource Management-Collaborative Research Support Program, University of Georgia, Athens, April., 2005.
- Review of Somalia: Economy Without State by Peter D. Little, A.H. Peter Castro, American Ethnologist 32 (1) February., 2005.
- Natural Resource Conflict Management Case Studies: An Analysis of Power, Participation and Protected Areas, A. H. Peter Castro and Erik Nielsen, editors, Rome, Italy: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, 284 pp., January 2003.
- Social Capital, Assets and Responses to Drought: Preliminary Observations from Interviews, South Wello and Oromiya Zones, Amhara Region, Ethiopia, A. Peter Castro, Madison and Addis Ababa: BASIS Greater Horn of Africa Program and the Institute for Development Research, Addis Ababa University, September 2002.
- Indigenous People and Co-Management: Implications for Conflict Management, A. H. Peter Castro and Erik Nielsen, Environmental Science and Policy, 4(4/5), pp. 229-239, August 2001.
- Incorporating Population Dynamics Into Community Forestry: Results and Lessons from Five Case Studies, A. Peter Castro, editor, Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Forestry Department, Forest Policy and Planning Division, 101 pp., January 2001.
- Food Security and Resource Access: A Final Report on the Community Assessments in South Wello and Oromiya Zones of Amhara Region, Ethiopia, Yared Amare, Yigremew Adal, Degafa Tolossa, A. H. Peter Castro and Peter D. Little, BASIS Horn of Africa Program and Addis Ababa University, 59 pp., January 2000.