Allan MazurProfessor, Public Affairs
|Email:||amazur at maxwell.syr.edu|
Allan Mazur, a sociologist and an engineer, is professor of public affairs in the Maxwell School of Syracuse University, where he has taught since 1971. Prior to that he was a member of the social science faculties of MIT and Stanford University, and he has worked for some years in the aerospace industry. He has a B.S. in physics (IIT, 1961), and M.S. in engineering (UCLA, 1964) and a Ph.D. in sociology (Johns Hopkins, 1969).
Elected a Fellow of the American Association
for the Advancement of Science, Mazur has over 150 articles in the social
science literature and is researching his eighth book. He is especially
interested in biosociology; research methods; and in controversies over science,
technology, and the environment.
Environmental Research Areas
- Climate Change
- Public Knowledge and Ignorance about Science and the Environment
- Risk Issues in English-Speaking Nations
- Technical Expertise and the Mass Media in Environmental Controversies
Selected Papers and Abstracts since 2000
- Energy and Electricity in Industrial Nations: Parsing Growing Consumption into Population and Non-population Components, Allan Mazur, July 2010.
- Energy Consumption, Electricity, and Lifestyle in Industrial Nations, Allan Mazur, July 2010.
- How Bad Can A Crisis Be If It Doesn’t Top the News?, Allan Mazur , Risk Analysis 29: 793-795., 2009.
- Biosociology, Allan Mazur , Blackwell Encyclopedia of Sociology. Ritzer, George (Ed). Blackwell Reference Online January 1, 2009. , 2009.
- Dominance Hierarchies, Allan Mazur , Encyclopedia of Group Processes and Intergroup Relations, J. Levine and M. Hogg (Eds). Sage., 2009.
- American Generation of Environmental Warnings: Avian Influenza and Global Warming, Allan Mazur, Human Ecology Review 16: 17-26. , May 2008.
- Amadeus Grabau in China, 1920-1946., Allan Mazur, Carbonates and Evaporites 21: 51-93., 2006.
- Biosociology of Dominance and Deference, , Rowman & Littlefield., 2006.
- Nuclear Power, Chemical Hazards, and Quantity of Reporting, Allan Mazur, In H. Peters and H. Song 9eds), Reporting on Risk and Mass Communication. Seoul: Communication Books: 183-233 (in Korean)., 2006.
- Testosterone and Social Behavior, Allan Mazur, coauthor. Social Forces 86: 166-91., 2006.
- Testosterone Supplementation in the Aging Male: Which Questions Have to be Answered?, Allan Mazur, coauthor. The Aging Male 8: 31-38., 2006.
- Testosterone, Allan Mazur, In N. Salkind (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Human Development. Sage., 2006.
- Risk Perception and News Coverage Across Nations, Allan Mazur, September 2005.
- True Warnings and False Alarms: Evaluating Fears about the Health Risks of Technology, 1948-1971, Allan Mazur, Resources for the Future, Washington, DC., 2004.
- Voluntary Behavior by Electric Utilities: Levels of Adoption and Contribution of the Climate Challenge Program to the Reduction of Carbon Dioxide, Eric Welch, Allan Mazur and Stuart Bretschneider, Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, 19(3), pp. 407-425, July 2000.